The main purpose of the project was to automate integration testing of a complex e-marketplace system. The system contains a set of distributed components communicating with each other via HTTPS and CORBA protocols and using XML messages.
The task of integration testing was to create all possible XML messages valid according to given TD, and a set of invalid but well-formed XML messages with single defect. The testing tool sends these messages into the e-marketplace system, and then collects and analyses its responses. One of the most important tasks in this project was to make the tool maximally extendible and configurable thus allowing reproducing of different task cases.
There are 3 main functions of the tool:
The tool provides 2 operating modes:
- Creating all possible valid XML files from given DTD (determined by bifurcations of XML
structure). The tool provides a mechanism of DTD narrowing (disabling specified bifurcation nodes in XML
- Creating a set of defect templates for a given set of valid XML files. Defect template is a valid
XML file with some defect escriptors, which describe all possible defects for some tags and tag attributes.
- Creating defective XML files for each defect template. Defective XML contains data valid
according to system requirements and is valid according to DTD except for a single defect, which is tested to be
correctly caught by the system.
- DTD -> Valid XMLs -> Defect templates -> Defective XMLs
- DTD -> Defect templates -> Defective XMLs
Tools: JBuilder 4.0, XML Writer 1.21
Technologies: Java, XML, XPath, DTD parsing; Xerces, Xalan MySQL
Platform: Windows NT